Here's an easy Valentine project you can make this weekend: felt and ribbon heart bracelets! These pretty tie-on bracelets consist of a double felt heart stitched onto a ribbon. If you like you can embellish them even more with a few sequins. They make fun party favors for little girls. Bonus: they double as doll necklaces! Dolls shown here are available in my PinkGingerKitty shop on Etsy.
You need only a few supplies to get started:
2 colors of felt
22" of ribbon per bracelet
Contrasting embroidery thread + a needle
Here's how to make a felt heart bracelet:
Download the free pattern for the HeartsPattern or cut your felt hearts out freehand.
For each bracelet, cut out hearts from two colors of felt, one big heart and one small heart. Layer your felt hearts over the center of your ribbon. I have numbered the photos above for reference so you can follow along.
- Starting from underneath the center of the ribbon and the two hearts, stitch one straight stitch to the left, bringing it back down through the felt at the outside of the smaller heart and through the ribbon.
- Come up again through the center of the ribbon and two hearts. This time stitch one straight stitch to the right, going down through the felt at the outside of your smaller heart and continuing through the ribbon. Keep your stitches taunt but not so tight that they bunch up the felt. Bring your needle back up through the center of your ribbon and felt hearts.
- Make another straight stitch up to the left and down through the felt at the top of the left curve of the smaller heart. Bring the thread up through the center again and repeat the process at the top of the right curve of the small felt heart. Coming up through the center again and add straight stitches to the top center of the small heart and bottom point of the small heart.
- Add two more straight stitches from the center to the lower left edge and lower right edge of the small felt heart, each time starting through the center of the ribbon and hearts stack. You will have a total of 8 stitches holding the felt hearts in place.
- If you like sparkle, add a three sequins to the upper right section of the heart using your thread. Tie a knot on the back, cut off the excess thread and you are done.
- This is the back side of the bracelet.
Your bracelet is now ready to wear!
Package your bracelets for gifting by cutting out two notches the width of your ribbon on a piece of card stock. Tie the bracelet around the card, add a greeting and slip it into a snack bag with some candy. These make adorable party favors!
The Garden Party Girl dolls like posing with them for pictures to put on social media.
The Sweet Friend dolls like adding colored sequins to their felt hearts for a touch of bling.
I hope you are inspired to wear your heart on your sleeve (or wrist) this Valentine's day!
Have a fun weekend.
Dress Up Kitty doll Lulu tried on several necklaces until she found the perfect one to compliment her outfit.